Re: More on Cash and Taxis in Poland
From: Sharon Grosfeld (sharon.grosfeldgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 15:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
I travel to Poland frequently and in fact will be there in a few weeks for the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, then on to Radom, my family’s hometown, where I will participate in the 10th anniversary celebration of the Jewish Cultural Festival.

I always use Polish currency throughout Poland, known as the Zloty, which regardless of the rate of exchange, for Americans at least, we do quite well.  Food, lodging, etc. tends to be less expensive in Poland anyway, and I am aware that Warsaw has become the destination for many Israeli’s to shop because it is so easy to get to and very economical.

Since you will generally want some zlotys for a cab ride or small bite to eat, if you have not had the chance to exchange some dollars for zlotys at a bank in the U.S., then just do the smallest amount possible at the airport and thereafter the Kanter Exchanges, which are located throughout Poland, sometimes on the same streets.  The Exchange rates will often be listed outside in front of the kiosk, or right inside.  A variance of one or two here or there will not make a huge impact.

Also, when paying by credit card it is usually better NOT to have the sales clerk convert it into U.S. dollars since the exchange rate via credit card tends to be better.

As for tipping, though many in Poland do not tip or expect to be tipped, I think it is still important to tip since it promotes positive feeling, impressions of foreigners, etc.  However, a 10% tip is sufficient, 15% very nice, and 20% generous.

Such is my two-cents worth of advice.

Wishing everyone well,
Sharon

Sharon Grosfeld, Esquire
Daughter of Holocaust Survivor Walter Grosfeld, from Radom, Poland
Dana Point, California