Fwd: registration emergency contact
From: Elaine H Allen (captallen1gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
All,

Not to be an alarmist, but from experience...

As long as we are discussing "emergency contacts,"   make sure that the "contact person"  can act on your behalf by providing at least a notarized Medical  Power of Attorney naming that individual.  As an Ombudsman, I am always reminding folks who will be away from the rest of the family, to create one and give it to the named person and leave it  prominently displayed in case of emergency.

If you are travelling with someone, that person should be named and have a copy for at least for the duration of the trip. But If you travel often with that same person, you might also name an additional person, or put in words to delegate the Power of Attorney, in case you both get into a jam at the same time.

When I travel I carry documents indicating who the emergency contact.  In my case, the person who is named will be travelling with me prior to the conference, so I will indicate her name, a second and provide copies of  medical or travel insurance cards. As an aside, this is sort of a permanent Medical Power of Attorney thing with me.  From sad experience, the spouse does not automatically have authority to speak for their husband or wife... or the parent for an adult child, for that matter.

And you do not have to go to an Attorney to have this done. There are programs on the Internet that provide the template, or often a bank or mail and parcel business might provide the form, and then have it notarized.  $15 should do it if you have to pay at all.

Just one more little thing for your packing list.

Best regards,

Elaine Allen

“You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.”  -Winston Churchill

Elaine